Friday 26 September 2008

One week down...

Well. Week one of Uni over. I am exhausted. I am already starting to drown in work; but i am also getting to watch some fantastic films (Rear Window on 35mm!) and starting to get to grips with my surroundings. Every cloud...

Tonight, i saw Death Race. I went into the cinema with low expectations, and left with them completely intact. I knew the film was never going to be a complex, theme driven blockbuster, (The Dark Knight has truely set a bar. All that action AND The Joker too! haha) the film did comment slightly on the media's ever escalating reality TV fixation, but ultimately it was far more interested in cars being blown up. At times, the predictablity was embarassing. However, i can't say it was a terrible film because it wasn't. It achieved what it set out to do: Crash, smash and bash cars. Visually, the film also had some good moments: The gritty but stylish look established the mood and tone perfectly (although the prison itself couldn't have looked more "Shawshank." Come on, i know it's dystopia but have some imagination!) and the whole second stage sequence was fantastic; unfortunately so good that the finale couldn't match it. So ultimately, Death Race is a macho entertainment flick. The best way i can describe it is Wacky Races...with murder.

I also watched the first episode of the new season of Heroes. Fantastic. I won't spoil it. Just wait until Wednesday to see it!

Time for me to watch episode 2 of Supernatural. Perfect way to end a difficult week! :)

1 comment:

AKA-Coco said...

See, I'm glad I wasn't at the cinema tonight.
You know I would have been killing someone (literally) if I had wasted my money (which I don't have) on a film that isn't all that worth it.

Though, Starbucks soon yeah? :)
I have money tomorrow, me thinks :)
xxx