Wednesday 1 October 2008

Breathless. Or how film can turn a really bad day into something brilliant!

Today has been very strange.

It has been both brilliant, and at the same time. Utterly terrible.

It started as badly as possible: I work up early, unable to sleep with a tremendous headache. Then i have my plans to meet a dear friend of mine derailed by a parent on the rampage (isn't it always) which causes an argument and makes me unhappy. Then on my way to uni, the train gets delayed so i have to wait and the only form of questionnable ""entertainment i have is Daniel Defoe's Journal of the Plague Year (an infuriatingly detailed account of the great plague in the year 1665), which i have to read for my Writing London course (or biggest waste of time in history as i like to call it)

But among this complete carnage. Film saves my day!

First, in the morning, while i was "mourning" the death of what should have been a fantastic day, i decide to watch something epic. The Godfather. I don't think i need to tell you how good this film is: Just watch it. A true modern classic, it has everything: Performance, Spectacle, a compelling narrative, masterful direction. It cheered me up big time (Nothing like watching a super dysfunctional family to put things into perspective, hehe)

Then after i finally arrive at Kings. Late. I have a great lecture (Well, as good as any lecture can be!) and best of all, the screening. This week, i got the chance to watch Rainer Werner Fassbinder's "Fear Eats the Soul." Now i went into the screening unsure whether i would like this film, but i left it... speechless. One of the best movies i have ever seen. It was a wonderful film about important themes: Love standing against public opinion and racial boundaries, it was a poignant depiction of humanity; the good, the bad and the ugly. It was slightly melodramatic in places but the story was gripping and Fassbinder's direction superb, his cinematography captured the mood and created a sense of verisimilitude that made the film feel like a snapshot of reality; real lives colliding. I throughly recommend it, it is a heavy thematically, but beautifully simple film. I have already ordered the DVD :)

Finally, when i get home, completely exhausted. I can't find anything on tv; until i stumble upon Sky movies indie, and find one of my favourite movies of all time: The Big Lebowski. Funny, clever, crazy, wonderful. Pure Coen Brothers at their very best! The Dude rules. Plain and Simple. If you haven't seen it, buy it. Trust me, it is worth it! The only problem is you won't be able to stop quoting it! haha.

Now, to finish my day (Well technically begin tomorrow!) I am watching Miller's Crossing. Again, Classic Coen Brothers. Perfect film to end a completely crazy day!!!

No comments: